September 1st, 2017 – Version 2
Definition from the Einsteinium Website
The Einsteinium Foundation has a mission to raise funds for scientific research. Our mining tax creates a pool of funds that provide grants to deserving applicants. Recently we integrated crowd funding into the process to likely enable the grant beneficiary to receive more funds than we could immediately supply. This enables us to market the project, our coin, our sponsor items, and the benefits of cryptocurrency to a wider audience.
Community Enthusiasm – 4 out of 5
- The devs are Regularly active in Slack.
- The devs are Regularly active in Bitcointalk.
- The newly created Slack community has grown greatly.
Active Development – 4 out of 5
- The devs are actively working in the background. There is more than one developer.
- The devs are posting regular updates on their work.
Exchanges – 5 out of 5
- Traded in January and February 2017 near 100 sats.
- Price jumped in mid-March and has fluctuated from 200 to 500 sats since.
- Peaked over 2500 sats in July and August.
- Website – https://www.emc2.foundation
- Slack – http://emc2slack.herokuapp.com/
- Bitcointalk – https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=494708.0
- Block Explorer – http://emc3.cryptocloudhosting.org
- Roadmap – https://www.emc2.foundation/#timeline-section
- GitHub – https://github.com/ray77/einsteinium
September 1st, 2017 Summary
I originally reviewed this coin in March, 2017 when it was at 100 sats. It is up considerably since then and no longer meets the criteria I use for coins here, but I am keeping the review up so people can use the links.
Einsteinium is a coin with three years of history. It was originally created as a way to fund scientific research, and the new development team is continuing along that same path. Plans include a crowdfunding platform for scientific and IT projects. The mining tax will also go to funding research.
It was abandoned by the original developers, but now has multiple people working on it. Like most older currencies, EMC2 is a PoW coin. Since most crypto geeks are interested in technology and science, this coin has always held the community’s interest.
EMC2 has the distinct advantage of already being listed on the two most important exchanges, Poloniex and Bittrex. Most other coins I will review will only ever dream of being listed on Poloniex.
You will notice EMC2 now has the highest scores of any of my reviews. This is mostly due to continued progress by the devs to increase the scope of the project and community enthusiasm. Their newest wallet activated Segwit, so they are making the updates necessary to contend with other major coins.
I have always owned some EMC2 due to my interest in science. It may have been the first altcoin I purchased back when I judged currencies based on the project goals and not on price. With over 200 million coins in circulation it is not likely to ever be a $10 coin, but .50 cents is not out of the question if the developers do their jobs and the team uses the power of their coin’s reputation to raise money for research.