April 01, 2017 – Version 1
Definition from the Unitus Website
Unitus uses 5 independent algorithms to ensure the blockchain remains secure and can be mined by anyone, regardless of the hardware they have available to them. CPU, GPU or ASIC.
Community Enthusiasm – 2 out of 5
- The Project Team is Occasionally active in Slack.
- The Project Team is Occasionally active in Bitcointalk.
- The newly created Slack community is small and generally quiet.
Active Development – 3 out of 5
- The dev is working in the background. There is one dev.
- The dev is posting occasional updates on his work.
- UIS is Actively promoting in China (http://www.hongico.com/portal.php)
Exchanges – 2 out of 5
- Traded in January and February 2017 between 50 and 100 sats.
- Price jumped in mid-March and has fluctuated from 200 to 350 sats since.
Wallets – http://unitus.online/getstarted
- Website – http://unitus.online/home
- Slack – http://unitus.herokuapp.com/
- Bitcointalk – https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1121974.0
- Block Explorer – http://explorer.unitus.online
- Roadmap – None
- GitHub – https://github.com/unitusdev/unitus/releases
April 1st, 2017 Summary
Unitus is a coin with years of history and excellent technology trying to claw its way back into the spotlight. UIS was once listed on Poloniex, but was removed for lack of developer activity. The currency was built to be mined by any of five independent algorithms, each with a one minute block time, giving it superior security and allowing it to be mined by almost any hardware. The Unitus Technology Page goes into this in more detail. I found out they are thinking about replacing one of the algorithms due to lack of interest in it.
Also, one of their goals is to implement Segwit.
It received some pretty bad scores from me above, but this is partially because everything about this old coin is new, including the budding community in Slack and the new website. UIS has a lot of work to do to entice investors back, but they appear to be giving it a try. My biggest concern is I could not find any Roadmap or dates about future plans. I need to know work is actually being done.
This is one of the types of coins I imagined I would use this website to let you know about. Most of the people in the crypto community less than a year have never heard of it, but Unitus already has technology superior to many coins we trade every day. You may have heard about a 51% attack, which is a single entity controlling over half of the mining of a coin, and thus deciding the contents of the next block. That is nearly impossible with the 60 second blocks using five different algorithms. A miner would have to control almost 100% of three different algorithms to succeed.
Please don’t take that as a recommendation for you to buy… I don’t do that… however, you may want to put this coin on your radar and watch to see if development really does start back up. This would be a classic example of where one or two talented developers could come in, buy millions of UIS cheap, and then get this project kicked back up in no time. If you do some research and decide to buy some coins, the price is right.